Wednesday, September 3, 2008

A Little Progress

One of the most common questions a pregnant woman gets asked, in addition to "Boy or girl?", is "When are you due?" In the beginning, I answered this question with a date. I'm due in September. After a while, when I was further along, I answered with relative time. I'm due in 2 months. Six weeks. Things like that. This past month, I started answering in days. I'm due in 18 days. Sounds close, doesn't it? I have now reached a new milestone; a new way to answer the question.

I'm due on Tuesday.

How bizarre is it that an answer of "Tuesday" is actually unambiguous? I don't need to specify which Tuesday, because it's this coming Tuesday. The very next Tuesday we're going to have. That's when I'm due. On Tuesday.

That's all very exciting, but baby Barack may have other plans. I had my 39 week appointment today, and though there has been some progress, it's not much. I'm 1 cm dilated and 50% effaced. Rather than look at those numbers in absolute terms (one measly centimeter?!?) I'm choosing to look at them in multiplicative terms: I'm infinitely more dilated than the zero centimeters of last week! Doesn't infinite progress sound great?! The baby has also dropped a bit more, to -3 station. It might not seem like much, but last week I wasn't even on the scale, so this is definitely an improvement.

So, the good news is that some progress has definitely been made. The bad news is that this sort of progress doesn't necessarily translate into being any closer to labor. Dr. M is hopeful that I'll go into labor on my own sometime in the next week, but if I end up having to keep next week's appointment, he's going to want to discuss induction. Baby Barack seems to be in excellent health, but he also seems big, so nobody (including me) wants to let me go more than a week or so past my due date. One way or another, Dr. M wants the baby out of me by September 17 or so.

Otherwise known as: a week from Wednesday.

7 comments:

K @ ourboxofrain said...

Tuesday. Dang.

Hooray for progress! You give me hope.

AwkwardMoments said...

Oh So CLose!

ScientistMother said...

can't wait to hear about the new baby. good luck on the labor!

Amanda said...

Infinite progress sounds much better. I wonder if I could do the same with grad school (as I could tell my committee that I've made infinite progress over last time we met as my yeast are transformed and mutated. And that's infinitely more than last time).

Good luck with everything and I hope that you don't have to keep the appointment next week!

George said...

Getting close now...keep us posted on any news...best of luck to you all!!!

Jen said...

Tuesday. That's so hard to believe. I hope Barack decides to arrive very soon.

Unknown said...

Um, yeah, so Tuesday is tomorrow. Like in 4 hours. WOW! I am so excited for you. Hope there's been more progress since your last post.

Good luck!