Monday, March 31, 2008

What Not To Do While Pregnant

Some friendly advice for you other ladies out there, straight from me to you. I had to learn the hard way, and I'm here to save you the discomfort of finding out for yourself.

1. Don't go to a planetarium. I know, this probably comes up all the time. I, myself, go to planetariums constantly. Why, before this weekend, I was at a planetarium just ... 20 years ago. So, when a group of coworkers planned a trip to a space museum / observatory / planetarium, I joined them, because it sounded like fun. (Also, they planned this particular outing specifically for me, since they originally planned to go rock climbing, but changed their plans to something more pregnant-woman-friendly. Oh, the irony.) The museum and observatory were fun. Then we sat down for the planetarium show. About black holes. Complete with animations on imax film dramatizing an imagined fall through a black hole.

Let me say at this point that I watch imax movies all the time, and they never make me ill. I can normally watch shaky-cam movies with no problem at all. But wow, leaning back in that planetarium watching stars and planets zoom past me... I haven't felt that sick in a long time. Nauseous, pounding headache, dizzy, you name it. I had to sit there for several minutes after the show before I felt stable enough to walk out. Blech.

2. If you're already feeling sick from an ill-advised planetarium show, don't get in the car immediately afterwards with a nutsy driver who likes to purposely skid around mountain switchbacks and speed around corners to show off the handling of his new BMW. Trust me on this one.

2 comments:

AwkwardMoments said...

OH so fun outing!

Glad this is over with

Katie said...

I would have purposely puked in the new BMW. That will teach 'em to show off!